June 29, 2010

Training Together

As I mentioned before, I have started training for a mini-triathalon at the end of August. I first became interested in doing the triathalon when our friends did theirs back when we were in seminary. I watched them train (more accurately, I usually watched their little girl while they trained!), and listened to their stories when they had finished, and I was SO impressed. I wondered if I would ever be able to do something that physically challenging, and I knew that if I had the opportunity I would try. More recently, I realized one day that I was in terrible shape. I really want my children to grow up in an environment where a healthy lifestyle (eating right and exercising) is natural, rather than something you have to force yourself to do. I knew that if I didn't set an example by working to get in shape, that desire would never be a reality. So, I started swimming in the morning with a couple that was training for a triathalon. Their excitement and diligence in training started to get me thinking again about the possibility, but I knew I would never be in shape for theirs.

Then Lucas found the MINI-triathalon - 300 yd. swim, 6 mi. bike ride, and 3 mi. run. I knew that this was a far more reasonable goal, and something that I felt I could more realistically achieve in the time I had. Not only that, but it's fairly close! So I recruited a friend, and started training!
Mommy's goggles are a big hit!

I am only in week 3 of official training, but I'm starting to really enjoy it! This week has been the first week where I have seen real signs of progress and improvement - swimming 100 yards past the distance I need to swim for the race without stopping (the biggest challenge was having to swim through an underwater forest of weeds...it lasts for a good 10 yards and you have to go way out to avoid it - farther than it would be worth. It was creepy, but I made it!) and jogging 2.5 mi. of my 4 mi. loop and jogging almost the entire second mile in one stretch (I was so excited when I did it that I almost started crying!). The jogging has been the most difficult part. Because I have issues with my joints, I haven't done any form of running in years. BUT, with each knee supported in a brace it isn't so bad. And I have noticed that the more in shape I get, the less my knees bother me!

I include the twins on as much of my training as possible. Partly because I have discovered that running and biking without them feels SO much easier when I have been running and biking with them! Mostly because even though they will not remember this, I want them to get used to (and enjoy!) this kind of family outing. I don't want it to be out of the ordinary to go jogging with me or Lucas. I want this to be the kind of thing we keep up and do as a family!
The twins and I finishing up my best run yet! Notice I look much more excited than they do...

The more I train, the more excited I get about the whole thing. While I haven't done the triathalon YET (which means I have no clue how much it will actually kill me), having this goal has drastically changed the way I approach exercise. I actually find myself thinking about possibly doing a longer triathalon in the future...

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

All I have to say is "Way to go Mommy"! I really don't know how you do it all. Enjoy this and you are right about healthy lifestyles. I'm excited for you. Hugs, Nana

Anonymous said...

Proud of you and glad you are starting your children out by exercising with them. you go girl! with love, Gigi

Anonymous said...

WAY TO GO KIM!!! What is the race date in August? Will keep you in my thoughts/prayers as you train. You're motivating me to find a road race this Fall to set my sights on. I'm currently running ~2.5 miles on the treadmill at a time, but feeling stronger each day. Love your friend, Julie

Kim said...

Hi Julie!!!! The race is August 28. 2.5 mi. is awesome! You should definitely try to find a road race, it is an amazing motivation :) Hope all is well!

Kelsey said...

Kim, you will do great! And, you won't regret it, either! I'm excited for you!

Anonymous said...

We're cheering for you, Kim!! Keep it up! G-gran

the monkeys' mama said...

You rock my world Kim! Look at you and the jogger! Love that picture!

Kim said...

Thanks, Allie! Your running certainly rocked my world (and provided inspiration) first!

My personal favorite picture is of Ryan in the goggles. If he finds them he wants to wear them nonstop the rest of the day :) Maybe he will be my little swimmer man!