June 28, 2010

One Dark & Stormy Night...

We've had an unusual amount of serious storms this summer. 3 times we've been in tornado warnings...although the first 2 we didn't know because we couldn't hear the sirens! On Wednesday evening, Lucas happened to be on the phone with someone who apparently lives closer to the sirens beccause he heard them over the phone!
Growing up in NE, I'm not unfamiliar with the sound of the siren. In NE, the siren means "get to the basement NOW," I wasn't sure if it was the same in MI (mostly because their sirens often can't be heard!), but decided the responsible thing was to take the babies to the basement rather than wait and find out!

They were cranky at first (they rarely wake up happy), but quickly settled into the adventure of the situation! They got to sit in their special Winnie the Poo chairs (thanks Lala!!), and watch as much Baby Einstein as they wanted! Good times :) Even more good news...because of all the excitement that night we all slept in the next morning! Yay!

3 comments:

safmomma said...

Hey, we had to get the girls out of bed the other night at 1:30am because the sirens went off. Only to find out the storm was past and there were no warnings! Annoying!!!! We keep a weather radio on in our bedroom during the summer and set it to only go off for tornado warnings. It didn't go off that night, but who wants to take chances in the middle of the night. Better safe than sorry!

I heard you guys are going to Kayla's wedding. When are you getting there. We are staying in KC for a mini vacation beforehand, so we should get there at a good time on Friday. It will be so fun to see you and your family in person! See you soon.

Kim said...

Mel, that stinks! I know how you feel. I hated getting them out of bed if there was any chance that it was nothing, but I knew I would feel worse if the weather turned really bad and I hadn't gone to the basement...
We are getting in on Friday, around 5 I think (I need to double check our tickets). We are SO excited to see your family in person too! I have NEVER met either of your girls :(

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you have a basement and Lucas works close by! Thank you Lord!! Nana