August 10, 2010

Work-cation: Playtime

I'm going to begin by apologizing because after I uploaded the pictures I realized that I really have too many for this post (and that was already splitting the pictures that are left into 2 posts!), and I SHOULD have collaged them...but I really liked all of them, and I didn't have time to go back and collage, so it will just be a long post with lots of pictures...sorry...

We didn't take a lot of toys with us because 1) I banked on us having a lot of outdoor things to amuse ourselves 2) I'm a big fan of finding whatever I can to amuse them, and new and different places always have new and different things that they love! Even though many are not actually toys...
These colorful plastic cups were their favorites. They were our bath toys, but also gave hours of amusement as stacking cups!


The family whose house we borrowed is very athletic, so I counted on being able to find a ball or two...and I was right! However, the rag taped to the corner of the table ended up to be more intriguing...
When I forgot the stacking cups in the tub, we pulled out regular plastic cups and they did the trick!
It also helped that we were joined by a few animals during the week...
They left their bird, Rachel. We didn't know she would be there, but it was a fun surprise! The twins loved watching me change her food and water, and every night they blew her kisses before going to bed.
We were on the screened in porch one afternoon when this dog suddenly appeared. It looked like their dog (and their last name was on the tag), so we let her in. The twins (especially Ryan who you see kissing her here) LOVED her. After a while she went to the door, and we let her out - never to be seen again. Turns out she belonged to the grandparents, who live 2 houses down, and she likes to stop by for visits!
We found a FABULOUS park in the nearby town. I have not come across a better one for toddlers yet! The only problem was that the trip to the park ended up making me cry...
Having fun on the swings!

This was the first thing that made me cry...Ryan decided (for the first time) to walk up the steps instead of crawling. Such a big man!Thank goodness Allie didn't follow suit or I would have blubbered like the baby I sometimes wish they still were!
At home, I've been working with them on how to use a slide with our little playhouse slides (always sit, feet first, not climbing up, going back up the ladder, etc.). They remembered everything and did the slides perfectly and independently (with mommy nearby to catch them!)...sob!

Then they went up the climbing walls! All by themselves! Single tear...

I want my children to grow up independent and confident in their own ability to achieve anything on which they set their minds...at the same time, seeing them independently do the things I've been teaching them is a blatant reminder that they are getting so old so fast. Slow down!!
And some parting shots of the Dynamic Duo together (a rare feat since they are SO fast!)


That concludes our time at the Lake House...but I still have our pictures from our weekend at Nana's and Nautical Festival!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm with you "growing up way too fast"....but don't ever apologize for putting too many pictures on here. I don't think that is possible.haha....Hugs from Nana

Anonymous said...

That's why I had so many babies---just LOVED having a little baby around--BUT they grow up and I decided I just couldn't keep having a new one!! The pictures are darling and make them so 'real'!! Just look at that gorgeous mop of curls on Allie!! Ryan is showing his independence--you do such a great job with them! Counting the days! Grandma

Lauren and Jeff said...

Fab pics of the twinners on the swings! Thanks for not collaging those, as I might have missed them if they were mixed in with the others.