December 06, 2009

Weekend recap: Heartbreak, Hope, & Milestones

As we have mentioned before - we take college football seriously in our house. Yesterday was the Big 12 Championship game between our beloved Nebraska Huskers and Texas. We, of course, donned our Huskers gear to show our support. I (Kim) wanted even more to win this game because Texas is the team of choice for my brother-friend Logan. And, after all of the harassment I have taken from him throughout the years because of my beloved Huskers, I really, really wanted his team to lose. I won't go into the details (because if you get me started...), but it was a crushing loss...13-12...they (Texas) got the winning field goal with 1 second on the clock. Heartbreak. Not only did Logan's team win, but they officially ended the twins' first college football season. Oh, well. We always have next year!
Once again Allie kept stealing the football...

And Ryan got mad...

As you probably know, last Sunday was the beginning of advent. The time of waiting and anticipation for the coming of Christ. Advent is often observed by the lighting of the candles in the advent wreath - 1 each Sunday. Our church is no exception, and they have a different family do the reading and lighting each week. This week they asked our family to participate in advent! We felt it might be a stretch to have the twins do any of the reading or lighting...

So I did most of the reading (with Allie),

and Lucas lit the candles (with Ryan)

They did a spectacular job and actually seemed to enjoy being up in front of all of the people...It was a very special for us to be able to participate in our first advent as a family.

And, the final big news - Allie is officially crawling. She has crawled a step (do you call it a step?) or two for a while, but she is now crawling distances. She did it first when we were skyping with my parents - she wanted to play with the laptop that was sitting on the floor. That evening, she started to follow me out of the room when I went to grab their bottles - that was the moment I realized that life, as I knew it, was officially over. She has been crawling all day, and since the laptop is usually what she's after, and our laptop takes video, I did a short video of her new accomplishment.


Yes, Ryan is crying in the background. He does not seem to like sister's new found independence, and wants to crawl, but gets frustrated when he can't figure out the complicated opposite hand/knee combo that his sister has. She was there a few days ago, so I really don't think it will be long before they are going in different directions!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yay... a new blog. I was just getting ready to go to bed and I thought, "I think I'll check it before I walk down the hall", and here it is. Now I have to go read it. Looks like we got a video. Yipee...it was so fun see'in Allie crawl today but on the other hand they are growing up so fast. Thanks, Nana
Grandma you are gonna love the crawling baby girl. It's so cute.

Anonymous said...

Hi Kim, Fun, fun!! Loved the video of Allie crawling! Yay!!Ryan won't let her get away with it for long. How precious that you, Lucas, Allie and Ryan were a part of the advent ceremony. So many teasured memories. Sad to say,the win for the Huskers wasn't one of them--almost though! It's in the teens here and snow. Just not ready for winter yet. We love you all, Grandma and Grandpa and Greats, too

the monkeys' mama said...

YAY for Allie. That's my girl :)

the monkeys' mama said...

PS I crawled and walked before Ash...must be the name.

safmomma said...

I love it! Those two babes are so precious. I really enjoy reading your blog. It helps me feel connected to your family. Thanks for keeping us updated.