December 03, 2009

It was the best day...

Today it was 65 degrees...in New Enlgand...in December. The weather today was nicer than any day we had in the entire month of June! It felt like spring. And so, we had to go outside and enjoy! Not too far from us there is a playground. We often walk there...and walk by...and then walk home...because they're too young for playgrounds. Or so I thought. On Thanksgiving I saw a baby in the baby swing that looked much younger than the twins. I had thought that the "baby" swings were actually for children who were older, but I started to think that maybe they were ready. After googling it to find out, I discovered that they actually had been ready for a couple months (they are ready once they can sit up on their own)!

So we went to the playground and Allie and Ryan tried the swings for the first time!

Allie LOVED it and took to it right away. She held on perfectly. You would have thought she had been swinging all her life!

Ryan didn't like it so much and actually started to cry.

So I took him and we got on a "big kids" swing and swung together (a tip I had gathered during my online research). At first he just wanted to snuggle, facing me. Then he saw dogs and wanted to face out.

Once we had been on the swing for a while, we tried the baby swing again. This time he loved it. He cracked a few smiles and even giggled once or twice!

By this time Allie (who had skipped her afternoon nap - choosing to talk and play in her crib instead) was exhausted and was starting to fall asleep in the soothing swing.

So I took her on the "big kids" swing for a little while too.

The we took a LONG walk home - where Allie promptly fell asleep. It was part of my master plan to sneak a nap in for my little chatterbox.

We really enjoyed our wonderful afternoon out in the beautiful weather - which is good because it is supposed to drop 10 degrees each day and be in the 30's by Sunday. And it was so much fun to try out the swings with the twins! I just wish we had discovered that they were ready for them before winter...

6 comments:

the monkeys' mama said...

hey! nice baby jogger! We own a double just like that!

We started Catherine in the swing at 5-months and she never looked back, just like Allie. I'm so glad the twins got to have fun in them before it got cold again! YAY!

Anonymous said...

I knew there would be a blog when we got home after seeing the pics on the text message. We just got home from seeing The Blindside movie with Darleen and Pat. So I rushed in to see if there was a blog. YAY...and the pictures are so so cute. I can't believe it was that warm today,it snowed here all day long. We got around 2 or 3 inches but very cold. It is coming your way I hate to say this. Tell the kids when they come to Rogers City we will go to the park and I'm really good at Underdoggies. Luv Nana.

Anonymous said...

Hi,Kim, It's always fun to check and see that you have a new blog. The pictures are so sweet, especially Allie sleeping. I have LOVED to swing all my life and always look for an excuse to swing, even when I don't have a little one with me! I also LOVE playing in the sandbox and appreciated having little boys to play with. One time I was playing away, not realizing that Jeff got out of the sandbox and left me alone and there I sat with sand covering my legs and playing right next to the street, and someone honked their horn and waved at me!! Life is good, Grandma

Anonymous said...

Nana, you beat me by seconds!!! While I was writing, you popped in. Way to go!! Grandma

Kim said...

I watched the weather this morning...it was actually around 70 yesterday...and it's supposed to snow tomorrow! Crazy New England weather!

Anonymous said...

Grandma you are so funny!! Do you go to our blog too. You should we have a slide show with the twins on it. Go figure!!! Hope to see you again someday, maybe when Matt or Nick get married!! Isn't life good. Kim the park day looked like fun. I remember taking my kids to the park, we have an awesome park right on the lake where the kids played for hours. When Lucas was very little I had a baby seat on the back of my bike and I used to ride down there on nice days and of course he never wanted to leave. One day when he was very young he took his little arms and hit me all the way home and back of that hill. It was a memory, a funny one. Hugs to all Nana