October 25, 2011

Costume Party!

I know I've said it before, but I have a love/hate relationship with Halloween. I hate scary things. I don't enjoy being scared, and I don't like the way everyone becomes obsessed with the gory and horrifying for a month every year. It creeps me out. Plus, I really hate spiders, and you can't go anywhere without seeing them this time of year - in decoration or real life. But I love theme parties, and dressing up, and making yummy treats, and giving out candy, and seeing a whole neighborhood come together for a fun evening for the kids. If I could have those things without any of the scary, I would be fine with Halloween. So, I tend to celebrate my way - without the scary, and full of fun.

This year, I planned a costume party for our local moms' group. I hate it when we have any outfit that is only worn once, so I'm always looking for 2 or 3 opportunities for the twins to wear their costumes each year. This year, a party at our house seemed like the perfect opportunity! I also discovered something about myself at this party. 3 1/2 years of being an Activity Professional makes you an OCD party planner. I told myself that I wouldn't stress. I would decorate some cookies and have some festive plates, but that would be all. Then, the morning before, I realized that not having decorations and games and going a little over the top would give me a tick. And I spent the rest of that day (and a good portion of the night) making decorations with things I had on hand...I would have liked better, but I was happy with what we had :) And now I know to never assume I can not plan ahead for a party ever again!
My favorite decorations. They took 20 minutes to make (not including drying time), and I got to use up some of the applesauce jars that I have been obsessively saving! I kind of love them :)
We ended up having a pretty big group - 12 big kids, 2 babies, 8 parents and 1 grandparent! It was a blast...even though we didn't end up playing any of the games. That was okay, the kids are all little enough they probably would have hated the interruption in their playtime!
A few of the costumed kiddos...




And what were Ryan and Allie? Around April I was struck with the perfect costume idea - Goldilocks & the 3 bears! I was going to make costumes, but then a friend found this bear costume at a mom2mom sale for $3, and I found some items that would work for Allie in her closet :) They didn't actually know who Goldilocks or the 3 bears were, so I found this music video and showed it to them. They are obsessed now (be prepared: if you watch the video you WILL have the song stuck in your head pretty much forever).
Baby Bear
Goldilocks
The pictures were all awful because I had my camera on the WRONG setting...the entire party...and never thought to check and see if that was the reason the pictures all looked terrible. Fail. I will get better pictures on Halloween. I promise!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love the jars Kim...so cute. The kids look great. Allie looks old and that bothers me cause I want them to stay little. haha but I'm like you I don't like the scary but I love the fall and the fun part of Halloween. Thanks for the blog. Hugs from Nana
ps ..Hope kids are feeling better real soon. So sad when they are sick.

Lauren and Jeff said...

Looks like we contributed to Allie's halloween costume as I recognize one of the items she's wearing. Yay!

The applesauce jars are adorable! How did you get them to be orange?

Anonymous said...

cute Bear and Goldielocks. You are so good with costumes that was never a gift I had. so I never liked costume parties. love the decoration were they colored glass jars or how did you get them orange? Gigi

ldmiller said...

I used orange paint mixed with Modge Podge. I had seen someone make outdoor solar lights using that technique, which was where I got the idea :)

Anonymous said...

You are so creative, Kim, and take the time to do things. I too, love the orange jars!! Your Dad showed me the picture of Goldilocks and Baby Bear at work today. He is so very, very proud of you and his grandkids!! His bottons just pop with love and happiness! Love to all, Grandma. I forgot ot sign the 'light' comment.