December 28, 2010

Dedication

The day after Christmas we had the twins' Dedication. Why did we wait so long? Because a dedication isn't just about the parents dedicating their children to God and themselves to raising them in a home that reflects God's love and salvation - it is about a community of family and believers dedicating themselves as well. So, we wanted to wait until we were in a community of believers (church) where we would be long-term, and then wait until we could get all of our family together! What made this service extra-special was that my dad was the "guest" pastor who did the dedication. He reminded us that part of our responsibility as Christian parents is to encourage our children to "taste and see that the Lord is good." He used one of my favorite authors & books (Dr. Seuss' "Green Eggs & Ham") as an example. Just like Sam persistently insists that his friend try the strange dish before dismissing it, we should continuously encourage our children to "taste" a real relationship with God. The following is what he read:
"Say! God is so good. I'm glad I know!
Thank you, Sam, for telling me so!
And I will trust Him in a boat.
And I will praise Him with a goat.
And I will seek Him in the rain.
And in the dark. And on a train.
And in a car. And in a tree.
God is so good, so good, you see!
So I will pray even in a box.
And I will share Him with a fox.
And I will read His Word in a house.
And I will show His love to a mouse.
And I will follow Him here and there.
Say! I will serve God ANYWHERE!
I do so LOVE God, the Great I AM.
Thank you, thank you, my good friend Sam."
As part of the service we also asked the family and congregation in attendance to commit to reflecting God's love and their personal relationships with God to the twins, and help us guide them to become a man and woman after God's own heart.
After the dedication, the daughter-in-law of one of our members sang a very special song. I often refer to this song as the "twins' song." This is the song I sang to them the day I found out I was pregnant, and that I have sung to them on an almost daily basis since. So much of their lives - their miraculous conception, the unbelievable way God stopped active labor (befuddling all the doctors) to keep them growing 3 weeks longer before being born, their daily antics that are to me a living gospel of God's grace, love, mercy, and majesty. This song is so much my response of praise to the wonderful gift of these 2 children in my life, as well as a prayer that they are blessed enough to see God's miraculous, unbelievable, living power in their lives in such a way that their heart has no other response but praise to our Great God.

There are also some funny moments I want to remember (because even a serious service with toddlers has funny moments, and God has a sense of humor and enjoys them as much as I do!).
Right before we went up Allie looked at me and grabbed her diaper (a sign I have recently discovered means she is pooping). Sure enough, we smelled her fragrant aroma throughout the dedication...

Ry-guy chucking the small brush/mirror that Gigi gave him to keep him occupied...and then crying because he wanted it back.

Allie playing with my necklace, putting it in my mouth, and then shrieking with giggles!

Ryan crying during his prayer (and then being completely silent after I asked him if there was anyone he wanted to pray for when Papa was done...).

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for sharing this wonderful time!!! This blog is so beautiful and seems like I am right there with you celebrating the joy of the gift He has given you in these two children and having your own Dad be the minister and giving you such a delightful story of God's love to read them in your nighttime prayer time! God is so good, Grandma

Anonymous said...

God does reflect his love and promise day by day. It was evident when Papa Ryan got up and did the dedication to his grandchildren. You could feel, and see the joy in his heart. And Kim your testimony was priceless. Brought alot of tears to many but tears also show our gladness that we have our twins and they will grow up in a loving Christian home. You can't ask for anything more. Love to all, Nana