December 17, 2012

We're Still Here...

We've been a little MIA lately.  Even if you live near us we have been slowly and surely becoming more and more recluse because...well...we can't see to shake this.  The twins can't, at least.  The fevers developed into runny noses, that then moved their way down to a cough, and the cough has just been getting worse.  The pedi said that this bug just takes a long time to work its way out.  I'm so done.

While this has put a complete halt to some Christmas activities, and has definitely impacted my productivity (family starts to arrive in 3 days and I haven't even started cleaning, although I did get groceries).  But we are still managing to have some fun.

The twins found a container of dominoes that Lucas scooped up from a garage sale (and then we put on our game shelf and completely forgot).  Rather than play dominoes, they (Ryan) have been using them to make elaborate towers and tunnels.  After several crumbled before I grabbed my camera, I managed to snap a few pictures of this one:

And no, no adults helped with the making of this tunnel.  I say this because I was so shocked when I walked in the room and saw what he made that I almost checked the closet!

The biggest change this week has actually been mine.  A while back I decided that I wanted to grow my hair long enough to donate.  I reached the necessary length and chickened out (of the cut, that it).  My hair kept growing and growing and I kept trying to figure out when, where, and how I would cut it.  Since we made December our month of giving, it seemed like the right time to jump in.  I have a friend who is in the hair academy, so she came over to my house.  I showed her pictures that I had been collecting for ideas, and then I told her I trusted her and to have fun!
Before
 The cut.
 A literally weight off my shoulders!
I will confess that it was a bit of a shock to go so drastic, but I love it.  If for no other reason than because my frequent head and neck aches have disappeared since I cut it!  But I also love how quickly I can get ready, and have been experimenting with styling.  Just having fun and enjoying the new extreme :)  Too bad I can't get a decent picture...
This was actually just a test shot to check my setting (which is why I'm not smiling).  I didn't have the right settings (which is why it is black and white...the color was completely red).
 Got the settings right and color correct and a smile on my face, but it's all blurry.  Sigh.
The twins have been having fun despite the sickies that plague them.  A package arrived at our door today.  A fun surprise from Nebraska Grandma!  Hats!
Lately, Allie thinks that closing/hiding her eyes is the way to take a picture...

Ryan like stacking all the hats at once.
10 hats and no pants.  That's just how we roll...
I have great hopes for tomorrow - that it might be the day that we see the light at the end of the sickie tunnel. Until then we are hunkering down and taking every measure we can to get healthy.  We have to before family starts to arrive! 

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks cute. What did the kids think?
Love, Poppy

Kim said...

Ryan hasn't said much, but he keeps running his hands through it. Allie said, "Mommy, now you're a boy. I really wanted you to still be a girl like me." I had to reassure her that our hair has nothing to do with our gender :)

Anonymous said...

Oh how funny,what goes thru the minds of little kids. I think you look adorable and what a generous thing to do. Not many of us who be so brave. Just think in a few months you will need a trim already. Can't wait to see you in person. Hugs from Nana

Anonymous said...

would be so brave...i gotta stop typing so fast.

Anonymous said...

I absolutely LOVE your hair!!! You'll be surprised how many cute ways you could style it. But in a flash it will be grown out from this lenghth so enjoy. The kids will have to practice in front of the mirror to get the faces in front, but they are having fun anyway and that is the whole idea. Blessed Christmas to you all and whoever comes through your doors, Grandma and Grandpa

Anonymous said...

packed and almost ready to head out the door. finally got electricity back on after 15 hours without it. during the storm a line went down. hard to read with candle light only. Looking forward to hugs too. Gigi and papa

Anonymous said...

I left a message and it was there when I left!! And now it's gone! I LOVE YOUR HAIR, Kim!!!! Thanks for the photos of the kids enjoying the hats! Blessed Christams to you all!! Love and prayers, Grandma