September 25, 2010

Fun with Colors!

We've been absent for a while. Partly because we've been busy (although not with interesting things), but mostly because I'm making a very strong effort to not be on the computer while the twins are awake. Since they are down to 1 nap, and my computer time also involves me working on the church website (which has had a lot to update for the fall), the blog was slightly neglected.
We have started a new fun thing this week that I thought I would show you...while reading the blog of another friend, she shared the link to a website she was using to provide interactive and educational activities at home. Wondering what they provided (because I had been wanting to do similar activities, but had no clue what to do on my own) I went, and was really impressed that they have curriculum for every age group up to 7 years! So I decided that we would start using things from their weekly suggestions for the twins' age.
Finger painting with red paint.

They have a lot of activity suggestions for each week, and you can pick and choose what you want. One of the activities involved teaching the colors red, blue, and yellow. They suggested having them color a picture with each color...I decided to take it to the next level! First we colored a few pages with things of that color, then we finger painted with that color of finger paint, then we did a scavenger hunt throughout the house to find things of that color, and we finished by reading the "Touch and Feel Colors" books we have for each color (Thanks, Aunt Darleen!).
On the blue scavenger hunt. The twinners push the basket and throw things in as we go. They LOVE pushing the basket!

Turns out we have a lot of blue "headgear." :)

The website also provides a lot of other suggestions for activities under various categories (exercise, literature, Bible, art appreciation, music appreciation, nursery rhymes, indoor games, language comprehension, foreign language, etc.), and this week we also incorporated the music appreciation (because I happened to have a Bach cd with this week's music selection!), language comprehension (this week was explaining everything you do - easy enough!), children's literature (I didn't have the book they suggested, but had another, by the same author, that incorporated colors. SO I used it instead!), and exercise (I was a little more deliberate about playing active games as I do not have any of the toddler exercise books they recommend).
Since we have a lot of empty space on our basement walls we set up color corners with all of our things for each color!

I'm really thrilled with the website. Their ideas are great, and even if I don't use all of the suggestions (or use them quite like they suggest) it has helped spur my creativity, and it has helped make our days MUCH less monotonous!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's always fun to see a new blog and this one was very interesting. You are having such a blast with your kids. So exciting to teach them new things. I love how you sing to them during the day to cheer them up or signal it's nap time. It's so neat to have so much space in the basement for their art gallery. Our garage looks like one, too! I love to go out there and see all the neat creations of the grandkids--even Nic and Matt have left me lots of colorful things. I don't know what I will do when it's time to paint the walls--maybe never as it's nearly all covered with art. Love to all, Grandma

Lauren and Jeff said...

Thanks for paying the links forward! I could use some more ideas, too!