January 24, 2011

'Til We Meet Again

I mentioned in our Top 10 post that my maternal grandfather was recently diagnosed with pancreatic cancer, and will not be with us much longer. While the diagnosis was a blow, one of the blessings has been the opportunity for many in the family to be able to visit him to say goodbye. Not everyone gets that opportunity before losing a loved one. We traveled this past week to Iowa to have that visit.
We stayed with my cousin and the Little Saflings. Shockingly, I didn't get a single picture of the kids playing together (I've been so off my game lately!), but I did get some pictures of the twins playing the piano...
Ry-guy LOVES to play the piano. I think it might have been his favorite thing there. How old do kids have to be before starting lessons?
They even played duets and this thrilled my little SAI heart!
The twins didn't spend a lot of time with Grandpa & Grandma, as that much activity is just too exhausting for him (most days it's too exhausting for me...), but they spent a little time for them to entertain him!
Allie played dress up - bracelets, shoes, and the be-yoo-tee-ful hat!
Grandpa reading with the kids. I love the look on Ryan's face!
I stayed and spent the day with my Grandpa and Grandma. The greatest blessing was the opportunities I had to use my 5 years of experience working in various capacities in nursing homes to serve my grandparents. I always considered it a privilege and joy to be able to serve the residents I cared for, and it was even more so to be able to do the little I was able for my grandparents. I very much treasure not only the time I was able to spend with my Grandpa, but also the time talking with my Grandma.
Since our visit, Grandpa has continued to quickly go downhill. We are thankful that he has remained relatively pain-free (not one pain pill!), and although we are sad to lose his presence here, we rest in the promise that we will see him again in Heaven. What peace it is to know that we mourn with the hope of salvation!
If any of you (who may have met Grandpa) would be interested in following his progress you can by clicking this link to see his website. We so appreciate the thoughts and prayers many of you have sent our way. They are such a comfort.
Below is a song that I remember singing before leaving a few family gatherings. Grandpa always liked us to sing when we were together, and he especially liked when we circled up, held hands, and sang this song. The words aren't much alone, but when you hear them in traditional 4-part harmony with a swinging refrain, it's gorgeous! I will forever remember his voice singing loudly!
God be with you till we meet again;
By His counsels guide, uphold you;
With His sheep securely fold you;
God be with you till we meet again.
Till we meet, till we meet,
Till we meet at Jesus' feet;
Till we meet, till we meet,
God be with you till we meet again

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks Kim they are precious pictures. I know my Dad is ready to go see Jesus and I know I will miss him greatly but I have been so blessed by such a Dad to have shared God with me as a child and through my life that no matter God is with me always until I meet my dad again. with love, mom and Gigi

Anonymous said...

Yes, what a blessing to have A Dad that teaches one Jesus from the crib on. The blog is a special tribute to him, Kim. How blessed that you got to spend such quality time with him and Grandma. They and the whole family ar ein our heart and prayers, Grandma

Anonymous said...

Beautiful blog Kim. Your grandparents look really good in the pictures. I'm so glad you got to visit with them and they got to see you guys and spend quality time. How wonderful that he knows our Lord Jesus and is ready to face the road ahead. It makes this difficult time bearable. I will continue to pray for him, and Gigi, and the rest of the family. He is a lucky man to have a loving family around him. God Bless, Dan & Denise