September 26, 2005

Reggie

Reggie lives across the hall and 2 doors down. He is 6 years old (that was how he introduced himself to me). Through an amazing turn of events (which included a sluggish, grumpy me one morning and a random roadside meeting) I now take Reggie to school in the morning. Reggie is a bundle of pure energy. There are mornings when he is literally (and I really mean literally) bouncing off the walls on our way down to the car to leave. Reggie has a Spiderman backpack (which I think is SO cool), but Batman is his favorite. In fact, Reggie wants to be Batman when he grows up, and our daily conversations often revolve around what his life will be like when he is Batman (in case you were wondering, it would be pretty cool). Everything is exciting to him..."Look horses! I like horses!" "Look, a white school bus! I've never seen one that color before. I bet they come in all different colors!" "Look! A boy with a backpack! I have a backpack! I bet he's going to school." There is never anything we see that isn't exciting in some way. And, like many boys much older than him, he relives his amazing sports moments often. I still hear about his first day of school during recess when they were playing basketball and a girl went to shoot the ball and he knocked it far, far away "right out of her hands. Isn't that amazing?" I have to leave 20-30 minutes earlier than I used to, but I really don't mind at all. I enjoy starting the morning looking at the world through the eyes of a 6 year old. I too find myself thinking, "I could do so many more things if I were Batman," and I'm starting to notice little things that may seem mundane, but now I think they are very exciting. It's a refreshing way to start my day. Although I do worry that sometime when I'm playing ball toss with my residents, that I'll be hoping for the chance to knock the ball right out of their hands, far, far away so I can brag about it in the car later...

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

is this Kim or Lucas taking him to school every morning? he sounds adorable = )

Anonymous said...

while I started reading this thinking it was Lucas but also thinking as I was reading it sounded so much like Kim. I knew when I got to the end who it was. The eyes of a child is so great and that is how God ask us to see and be Joyful in all our situation. But how did you end up taking him to school? You are a kid magnet. Love you girl. mom

Anonymous said...

Kim it has to be you (only you would love doing this every morning) and getting up earlier to achieve it! But please don't knock the ball out of the elderly person's hand and hit it far away; Remember Grandma playing BINGO!! They still take life very seriously. Love your stories, can't wait for another one. Love Denise

Anonymous said...

There was a day when I was feeling down and overwhelmed so I decided to take a bike ride and loaded my little girl into the child seat we had mounted on the back. As I was riding around the park in the midst of my depressing thoughts, a small voice behind me began to sing "Jesus Loves Me".

As I listened I began to look at the trees, the sun, the blue sky and the green grass. When she finished, we started to talk about the many wonderful ways God blesses us and shows His love for each one of us every single day. How can the blues stand a chance against the wonder and awe and joy of a child? I love that little girl and am so greatly blessed by the woman she has become!

Love, Dad

Anonymous said...

guess what? I have a connection to the Amazing Race! lol! This guy named Matt in my counseling class (don't get any ideas - he's married and not my type), well one of the families on the Amazing Race are close friends of his. Isn't that funny! I thought so. Miss you guys! love you!

Anonymous said...

anonymous said...

Hi Kim and Lucas!
I've been enjoying your fun and inspirational Blog on Steve's computer and guess what?? This Grandma is actually doing it on our computer!!! Kim, yours is so delightful and precious just like you. Lucas, it's great to hear about your spiritual studies, especially about prayer. You both are always in mine. We love you, Grandma and Grandpa R.

Anonymous said...

Lucas,

I think a seconding of this fine letter is in order - want to write and cosign with me? I'll bet we can get the band back together for one letter at least?

http://www.hillsdale.edu/collegian/129_04/opinions/weekly.html

Anonymous said...

Ok, while I'm sure that other article warrants some kind of humorous response, this was actually the one I intended to link to:

http://www.hillsdale.edu/collegian/129_04/opinions/openforum.html

Anonymous said...

Hi Kim and Lucas!
I told Lucas I have been reading your blog and he insisted I leave a comment next time, so here I am! I enjoy reading about your adventures and everyday lives. I'm so glad you're having so much fun in MA, even though I know we're all missed in Michigan! Lucas has also encouraged me and Jeff to start our own blog - as soon as we buy a faster computer - so I'll let you know when that happens! Keep up the posting!
~ Lauren

BillG said...

Little kids can be so fun. And it's good practice for dealing with Lucas too ;-)

Glad you guys are doing well.