November 17, 2012

Ready for Thanksgiving

I keep getting on to post thinking that I'm all caught up and just posted yesterday...and then I look at the dates and realize that 3 days have gone by.  How is that possible?!
This turkey was donated to the church for a decoration, and the twins LOVE it.  I promised they could get their pictures taken with him, and it was all they could talk about until it finally happened!
Perhaps because we have been busy getting everything together for Thanksgiving.  Friday we went grocery shopping and picked up all the staples for the meal - turkey, yams, green beans, stuffing, cranberries, etc.  We saved up a month's worth of grocery money for the trip, and it was so much fun to splurge a little (I'm not very good at splurging...plus I figure I can save the rest to splurge for Christmas!).  Then we went to the library to pick up A Charlie Brown Thanksgiving - not only is it a classic Peanuts delight, but it covers the history of the pilgrims and the first Thanksgiving in a kid-friendly way.  While there, I discovered a few Thanksgiving books that I had missed the last time we went.  So I grabbed those up too!  So we are watching Snoopy celebrate Thanksgiving and reading "'Twas the Night Before Thanksgiving" and preparing for a wonderful celebration of thanks with our family!
What does Tom see?

November 15, We Are Thankful For:
Allie & Ryan:  It didn't happen.  I was gone for the evening and even though Lucas was planning to remember, when bedtime rolled around he forgot.  Oh, well.
Me: More Organizing.  I was supposed to go grocery shopping in the morning, but the twins were cranky, and my back was still iffy, so we put it off until Lucas could join us.  Instead, I used that time to finish some of my organizing projects.  It feels so good to get so much stuff cleaned out!  
Time with friends.  I got to spend part of the evening with a friend I haven't seen enough of recently.  It was less than 2 hours, but it was still wonderful to catch up.
Reliving the glory days.  I sort of accidentally became the alumni adviser for the women's music honorary that I was part of in college.  I hadn't had a chance to meet the girls that voted me in, so I went to one of the meetings.  It brought back so many wonderful memories from college - especially since I discovered that they still do many of the things we started during our time!  It also made me feel a little old.  Even though I don't feel like it has been that long, a lot has changed...
A kiss.
 A "smile."
November 16, We Are Thankful For: 
Allie: My Other Baby Bumble.  Yup.  Allie has Bumbles too...and she is thankful for her other one (don't ask me which of the two is the "other" one...)
Ryan: Trains.  Honestly, he originally said candy again...and while I could take Bumble every single say of the month, candy was too much.  So I asked if there was anything else?  He looked at me like I was crazy.  Then Lucas told him that he could be thankful for anything he wanted.  So Ryan picked trains.
Me: "New" Clothes.  I completely switched out the twins' wardrobes the last few days - bringing up all of the next size of clothes out of the bins where they were waiting downstairs.  While this switch is always a little traumatic for me - I hate saying goodbye to my favorite clothes of the twins - it was made a lot easier as I helped the twins pick out their outfits this morning.  They were so excited to see (essentially) a whole new wardrobe, and they were so excited to pick which "new" clothes they were wearing.  I say "new" because 95% of their wardrobe is hand-me-down/garage sale.
Groceries.  It always feels good to have the fridge and pantry full again.  And Lucas was able to come along and help out...which was huge since we were stocking up for Thanksgiving.
"Game" Night.  We haven't had a monthly game night in a while, and we had a free Friday, so we sent out an invite.  In the end, everyone had sick kids or couldn't get a babysitter or was hunting..and only one friend showed up (with her adorable baby).  We didn't play any games, but we enjoyed a night of good conversation and reminiscing  (did I mention this is a friend from college who played a crucial role in Lucas and I getting together?).

November 17, We Are Thankful For:
Ryan:  Monster Truck.  Now that we've gotten him out of Bumble/Candy groove he is really off and running.  Not surprising that they are all in the transportation theme.
Allie:  My Big Caterpillar.  Yet another of our beloved Bumbles.  Actually, this one was in Ryan's Easter Basket their first Easter, but it has somehow become Allie's over the years.
Me:  A quiet day.  We made sure to set aside this Saturday so that we could have an entire day to catch up/relax - and we spent the entire day alternating between the two.  It was wonderful.
A nap.  I stayed up much later than my normal bedtime the 2 nights before, and I was struggling.  Allie had been begging me to snuggle with her in the new "bed."  So I did.  Naptime is amazing.
A successful dinner.  I made venison...for the first time ever.  I've eaten it before, but never cooked it.  I was oddly nervous.  It turned out great and was delicious!  Phew!
Thanksgiving is right around the corner.  Best of all, only 4 days until my parents arrive (and the holiday really begins)!!  I'm thankful for family (Lucas' and mine), and the time I will get to spend with them next week...and I realize I am thankful in anticipation, but I really can't wait!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Neither can we. I have already wrapped the gifts to take, washed the twins new clothes I got them, plus boxes of things I am not using any more. Papa has finished the staining on the beds and the painting. He has started to pack them together to bring. New Beds for the twins! They are finally finished.I am thankful for this! Gigi

Anonymous said...

Sounds like Papa and Gigi are on the ball!! I'm trying to get things done but it sure ain't like it used to be. I get tired a lot faster than I used to. I'm so thankful for everyone who is going to be at your house on Thanksgiving. It should be fun. Just a warm up till Christmas. Hugs from Nana