October 24, 2006

Hillsdale Homecoming Part 2

Fri Oct 6, 8:00 am: Try to sleep

8:30 am: Realize that I am unable to sleep due to funky cappuccino.

9:00 am: Time to find housing for the weekend. Take Tony and Kim to see my old boss, Jeff, up in Admissions.

9:30 am: Housing found! Jeff hooks Tony, Billy and myself up with a room in Simpson, one of the men's dorms.

10:30 am: Wandering around the Dale, checking out the new buildings and looking for Kim's brother, Nic, who is a sophomore at Hillsdale and in class.

10:50 am: Tony, Kim and I are staked out in different locations where there will be a lot of traffic from classes getting out in hopes that we might spot Nic.

11:00 am: No signs of the boy even though we know he has class in one the two buildings we are staking out.

11:15 am: Decide to look for him at his dorm and, Bingo, there he is. He had taken a back way home.

12:00 pm: Continuing the classic tradition of throwing the Frisbee whenever the boys get back together. This time, since our usual spot on the quad is not available due to construction, we choose to throw across the busiest street on campus, Hillsdale St. Here's the basic formula: Tony tries to throw disc very hard, hits curb, funkdifies disc, repeat.

12:30 pm: Joel's mother takes us out to eat at a rather new spot in Jonesville called the Saucy Dog. BBQ joint with specialized burgers. But I am not feeling up for the food due to lack of sleep and the continuing effects of the funky cappuccino.

2:00 pm: Meet up with fellow all night travelers Mohler, Robey and Crazy Carl. They had driven from St. Louis and had a chance to catch some Z's this morning. Mohler ops out of sleep to attend a math class and a history class. That boy is always showing us up.

3:00 pm: Tony, Mohler and Joel part ways with us to take my car to pick-up Billy boy. I decide to stick around the Dale to spend some quality time with Kim and Nic.

4:00 pm: Quality time seems to be defined as walking around campus saying "what should we do" to each other only to keep running into random old friends and chatting it up with them.

5:30 pm: Time to meet Allie at Whitley dorm and the four of us walk down to the Hunt Club for our big reunion dinner. Did I mention that it was an absolutely gorgeous autumn day in the Dale?


Tirzah said...

I have tears in my eyes from laughter. will you all never cease to be hysterical each time you re-unite? And I've driven through Ohio a few times and realize the beauty of the rest stop signs that tell you how far the next rest stop is - generally a good thing to consider but maybe next time eh?

KI said...

More more! I'm still waiting for the story of the mysterious phone call that I got from the football game. And WHAT is UP with funky cappuccinos? If you're going to succeed in postgraduate education, my friend, you have GOT to develop an iron stomach ;-) Suck it up and switch to straight espresso...

MM said...

More, more, more!

And it was a very beautiful day.

Anonymous said...

Reading this is making me wish that I wasn't 8 months pregnant and could have been with you all. We actually were going to be there until God changed those plans a bit. Sounds like you had a wonderful time...can't wait to hear more!

BillG said...

Wow. Eight months pregnant? That's no excuse, Jess!

Funky cappucino=Good name for a band