October 22, 2005

Mommy for a day

I feel I should start by letting you know that you are 100% correct if you have deduced from the title that this is not Lucas writing!
About a month ago Josh, our neighbor who has been featured in the blog before, asked Lucas and I if we would be willing to babysit Laura Jane all night so he could whisk Kim away for 24 hours of romance and relaxation. We readily agreed. I left work an hour early yesterday to get back in time to get all of the much needed baby info before they left (it was a surprise to her so she didn't know until after I was already at work). After mixed goodbyes (while they were excited to get away, it was incredibly hard to leave their adorable little girl for so long) they headed out the door and I began my adventure as mommy for a day (since I felt this would, in many ways, be a good example of the life of a mommy and leave me saying "I'm so into this, I want one!" or "Hmmm...maybe later..."). It wasn't much of an adventure. Laura Jane is a perfect baby. Last night she giggled and played until dinner time when she drank her bottle and then went to easily to sleep like the little angel she is...all before 7:30! The night time was a little more adventurous...but it really wasn't bad. She didn't wake up screaming and make me walk the floors, but she did wake up talking and laughing at 4 AM (Lucas mumbled, "That was really cute last night, but it is not so cute at 4 in the morning." I just turned the volume down on the monitor.) It was even more adventurous when I got up a little before 7 to head down to their apartment to get a wide awake Laura Jane. As I was walking down the hallway I thought, "This is insane! It's Saturday morning! I'm just not ready to give up sleeping in forever!" Then I walked into her room and she smiled up at me from where she was talking and playing in her crib and all tiredness went away. Suddenly I was making funny noises and talking in a high voice and enjoying the little giggles that resulted. Now today she didn't want to talk a nap (she wanted to talk and play instead) and by this afternoon I was not about to let naptime be optional (I NEEDED it!) so she and I cuddled together in the rocking chair until she fell asleep, and for an hour after. Josh and Kim just got home and I left their smiling baby in their arms. It was a lot of fun to babysit overnight, and it was a good experience. Now before either of our moms or any of my friends start getting excited and run out to buy baby clothes, I should clarify that the 24 hours of "mommyhood" didn't give me baby fever. I loved it, she was adorable, and there are few things as fun as making a baby giggle and cuddling with a sleeping baby, but why would I need one of my own when I can go next door and babysit anytime I want?? I still get to do those things, but I get to sleep in at least one day a week! Speaking of sleep...it's time for a nap...

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well i guess i will be first to respond to this blog. Hum....i've already started buying baby clothes so I guess I won't be running out to do that, cause i already have some for boy and girl. But...there is nothing like your own baby. I know you love baby Laura Jane but.....Kim it is really Grandma you have to worry about; she is getting older and more impatient than the rest of us. Loved the Story....miss you guys. Love Mom Miller

Anonymous said...

I'm ready to be an honorary aunt anytime...

-Becca

Anonymous said...

you know I am always ready to be an honorary aunt! though... since I am not around to babysit as an honorary aunt should.... you take your time! lol = ) love you guys!

Anonymous said...

And... even more exciting... Christina just introduced me to the "other" option for signing my name on here... I'm not so quick at this...

Anonymous said...

Quess I should have read this entry before calling to tell you about your three cousins all due in a months time this spring and Aunts are wonderring if it is contagious. After waking you up during your nap after the night with baby. well it was written in your voice not now mom. I have enough baby clothes to buy for anyway with your uncle on Ryan side having his any day now and then these three cousins. Plus I am way to far away to help out much and I do want to help you out for those romantic weekends away. with love you know who

Unknown said...

Smart woman :-)